Cotonsport of Garoua have suffered a 2-3 defeat to Asante Kotoko of Ghana in a 5 goals thriller at the military stadium this Sunday.
5 goals from; Daouda Kamilou (penalty), Gueme Araina for Cotonsport and Emmanuel Gyamfi, Maxwell Baakoh, Abdul Fatawu Safiu for Asante Kotoko have put Kotoko is a strong position to make the group stage of the competition.
But here are 10 facts that may have gone unnoticed in Sunday’s game.
1)Dating as far back as December 1971,Asante Kotoko’s win over Cotonsport of Garoua was the club’s first win on Cameroonian soil in 4 attempts. It is also the first win for Asante in 3 games at the military stadium.
2) Cotonsport have now leaked in 10 goals in 5 games in the CAF competitions this season.
3)Coach Akonnor has become just the second Asante Kotoko coach in 6 years to win a CAF competition game away from home. Mas Dramini did so in 2013 against Sony Ela Nguema.
4) Kamilou Daouda’s goal made it 4 goals in home games this season.
5)It’s is the first time Asante Kotoko scored 3 goals in a single game on Cameroonian soil.
6) Cotonsport of Garoua’s latest defeat makes it 5 games without a win against Ghanaian clubs.
7)Asante Kotoko have scored 5 goals in their last 2 games in the CAF confederations cup.
8) Cotonsport lost,but became the first club to score two goals against Asante Kotoko in a CAF club game since Algerian side,MC El Eulma beat Asante Kotoko 1-2 at the Baba Yara in 2015.
9) Cotonsport of Garoua have conceded in the last 3 games at home.
10) Cotonsport of Garoua have won all second leg games in CAF competitions after a defeat in the first leg.But mind you no Cameroonian club has ever won at the Baba Yara stadium. Interesting second leg game in the making.
Asante Kotoko was the better side in Sunday’s game at the Military Stadium and will look forward to making life difficult for Cotonsport at the Baba Yara stadium next weekend and why not qualify for the group stage of the confederation cup.