By Muambo Edward
Football Writer, kick442.com – Cameroon
Cameroon international winger Christian Bassogog has been on the lips and pens of sports journalists in Cameroon for the last few days for allegedly attacking and threatening their colleague Frank Eric Diffo.
The 24-year-old Henan Jianye winger was brought down from the stars by Eric Diffo in an article published on sports-vibes.net, with the headline “From Hero to Zero”.
In his article, Eric Diffo recounted Bassogog’s career, stating that the player’s move to China after the 2017 African Cup of Nations from Danish side Aalborg was more financially motivated and Bassogog has failed to deliver, witnessing a steady drop in form since then.
He went on to talk about issues like Bassogog’s life with his wife which have absolutely nothing to do with football.
The player’s entourage notably his brother according to Eric Diffo took offense in the article and reached out to the journalist who claims he was threatened.
“I am a victim of threats since May 23, 2020 from close relatives of Christian Bassogog,” Diffo wrote on social media.
“I received life threats this morning [Sunday] while I was playing my routine keep fit Sunday morning football. The player [Bassogog] came to our training ground with his car and threatened to get physical with me.
“I was only rescued by those who were present at the field but he [Bassogog] left and told me I have not heard the last from him.”
As one of his main witnesses to the incident, Diffo had cited the Secretary General of the Cameroon Association of Sports Journalists [CASJ], Sylvain Kwambi.
He reported the supposing threats from Bassogog’s elder brother to Kwambi and invited him to unusually be part of his Sunday morning routine, at the Bonamoussadi playground.
Contrary to what is recounted on social media, Kwambi has a completely different version of the story.
“Like an eye witness to the incident, I wish to precise that the player and his relatives were present at the playground without attempting to get physical with Diffo,” Kwambi said CASJ social media platform.
Bassogog has finally broken the silence on a video posted on Henan Jianye’s website.
“Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, I am still stuck in Cameroon,” Bassogog said.
“I am so desperate to return with the team[Henan Jianye] as soon as possible and sprint across the field together with my coach and my teammates.
“For that purpose, I have been training and controlling my diet, and rest everyday, to keep my body in the best possible condition, to permit me do my best for the upcoming season.
“I just heard that there are reports on the internet that I threatened and attacked a reporter. I am so shocked about such fake rumours.
“I am so busy training everyday, and also cherish the time I spend with my family. I have no extra energy and time to pay attention to any meaningless nonsense.”
The President of the National Syndicate for Professional Footballers, Geremi Njitap has called for restrain from both parties and promised a meeting in the days ahead.
Bassogog has scored scored 23 goals in 74 games for Henan Jianye and he is an integral part of the club’s project.
He also thanked his fans for their concern for him and called on all to join in the fight against the dreaded Coronavirus.
“Thank you all for your concern for me. I believe that the most important thing during this trying period is to join efforts in the fight against Coronavirus .”
The 2017 African Cup of Nations winner and Best Player has won 26 caps for Indomitable Lions of Cameroon, scoring 4 goals.
We are monitoring the situation and will bring more details as soon as we get further information.
Copyright 2020 © kick442.com
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, written in full or in parts, without a written permission from our management.
This site is not responsible for the content displayed by external sites.