Day 9 of the AFCON was witnessed the first games without goals after the previous 21 ties in the first eight days all had at least a goal.
Mauritania 0 Angola 0:
Mauritania and Angola played to a goalless draw which still gives both teams slim hopes of qualifying for the round of 16 .
– This was the first draw between the two teams in their third meeting. Both teams had a win each in their previous two meetings.
– The Palacras Negras(Black Panthers) of Angola are winless in their past seven games in the AFCON, their longest drought since a decade without victory from 1996 to 2006.
– Mauritania earned their first point in the AFCON with their first clean sheet.
Cameroon 0 Ghana 0:
Two of the competition’s favourites played a very entertaining game though Cameroon had the better chances, unfortunately there was no goal in the highly anticipated game.
– This was the 9th meeting in all competitions between them. Ghana has an advantage in the tie with 3 wins against 2 for Cameroon with the other four games finishing in draws.
– Ghana has failed to beat Cameroon in their five meetings in the tournament, losing two and drawing three.
– Cameroon are unbeaten in their last eight games in the Africa Cup of Nations (W4, D4), their longest run since February 2000 – February 2004 (12 games) when they won the 2000 and 2002 tournaments.
– Four time winners Ghana have won only one of their last five AFCON games (D4, L1) after winning six of their previous seven and drawn one.
Benin 0 Guinea-Bissau 0:
The two minors cancelled out each other in game in which both teams failed to find the back of the net.
– Both teams are still looking for their first wins in the tournament.
– Benin are winless in their 11 games in the AFCON (D3, L8). Only Mozambique with 12 games have played more games in the competition without a win.
– The Djurtus of Guinea-Bissau are winless in their five games in the tournament (D2, L3), conceding at least one goal in each of their last four (7 goals conceded).
– This 0-0 draw against Benin was their first clean sheet in five games.