Tunisia 1 Mali 1:
The highly anticipated clash of Eagles finished in a draw but both teams have still have a good chance of making it to the next round.
– It was the 10th time these teams were playing against each other and it was the first time one team failed to win, Tunisia had won five and Mali had registered four wins in their previous nine meetings.
– Tunisia have won only three of their last 12 games in the AFCON (D5, L4), after winning three of their previous five (L2).
– The Eagles of Mali have won only two of their last 13 games in the AFCON (D8, L3).
Morocco 1 Ivory Coast 0:
Two of the competition’s favourites played a very entertaining game with Morocco getting the better of the Ivorioans and becoming the fourth team to book a place in the round of 16.
– The two teams have played each other 19 times in all competitions with Morocco now taking the advantage with seven wins and seven draws. However, Ivory Coast have now lost only two of their five games in the AFCON against Morocco, they also lost to them in the 2017 tournament.
– Ivory Coast have now lost only two of their last 19 group stage games in the AFCON (W11, D6). Their other loss was against Morocco in the last tournament.
– Morocco have won their last three games against Ivory Coast in all competitions, they had only won two in their previous 11 games against them (D3, L6).
– The Atlas Lions have won their last four group stage games in the AFCON, their longest streak at this level of the tournament.
South Africa 1 Namibia 0:
Bafana Bafana have kept their hopes of progressing to the round of 16 alive with a narrow victory over Namibia.
– South Africa has now beaten Namibia in their AFCON meetings. They beat them 4-1 in their previous meeting in the 1998 tournament in Burkina Faso.
– Since beating Angola 2-0 in the 2013, this is the first time Bafana Bafana are winning a game in the AFCON, it’s also their first clean sheet in the tournament since that game.
– Namibia are yet to win a game in the AFCON after playing eight game (D2, L6), they have also failed to keep a clean sheet in any of those eight games.
– South African midfielder Bongani Zungu opened his AFCON goal scoring account in his first game ever in the competition.