Cameroon 2 Guinea-Bissau 0:
The Indomitable Lions of Cameroon opened their title defense with a convincing win against the Djurtus of Guinea-Bissau.
– Cameroon’s goals were scored by Panionos defender Yaya Banana and Angers forward Stephane Bahoken. They both scored their first goals in the African Cup of Nations with their first shots in the competition.
– Guinea- Bissau have lost their last three games in the AFCON, drawing the other.
– Cameroon’s last eight goals in the Africa Cup of Nations have been scored after the 59th minute.
Andre Onana’s clean sheet against Guinea Bissau is his first in his first AFCON game.
Andre Zambo Aguissa’s Man of the Match award against Guinea came exactly 1 year 4 days after he scored and won the award following a perfect display against Australia in the FIFA Confederations Cup game in Russia.
Ghana 2 Benin 2:
Four time winners Ghana were surprised to a 2-2 by Benin who showed no complex against the Black Stars.
– It was the 15th meeting between Ghana and Benin, though their first in the AFCON with Ghana winning 7, drawing 6 and losing 2.
– Benin have never qualified for the knock-out stage of the competition in their previous three participations.
– Mikael Pote’s opener after 103 seconds is the fastest goal in the 2019 competition so far.
– Ghanaian defender John Boye was dismissed at the 54th minute of the game after a received a second yellow card for time wasting to earn the first red card in Egypt 2019.
Andre And Jordan Ayew’s goals made them the first brothers to score in this edition of the Competition.