Mali 0 Ivory Coast 1:
The Elephants of Ivory Coast battled to narrow win against the Eagles of Mali who failed to capitalize on their chances.
– Ivory Coast kept their unbeaten record against Mali in the AFCON with a fourth win in their five meetings with the other game finishing in a draw (W4, D1).
– Mali won two matches in securing qualification for the round of 16, twice the number of victories they recorded in previous 11 AFCON games.
– Mali are the only team to boast a greater number of individual goal scorers (six) at this tournament in Egypt than Ivory Coast with five.
Ghana 1 Tunisia 1, 4-5 ap:
Tunisia finally got the better of the Black Stars in an AFCON game at the eighth time of asking to seal their place in the quarterfinals.
– It was the eighth game between Ghana and Tunisia in the AFCON. The Carthage Eagles are the favorite opponents of the Black Stars in the AFCON with seven previous meetings between them before this game, the most without losing (W6, D1). The Carthage Eagles secured a vital win in this eighth meeting though through penalties.
– Ghana have been eliminated in eight of their twelve games in the knockout phase of the AFCON, after qualifying in five of their previous seven.
– Tunisia had been eliminated in their past five knockout games in the AFCON, their last success beyond the group phase before this win against Ghana being their 2-1 win against Morocco in the final of the 2004 tournament which they hosted and won.