Algeria 3 Guinea 0:
The Desert Foxes of Algeria made light work of the Syli National of Guinea with an emphatic 3-0 win.
– Algeria have won their last four games in the Africa Cup of Nations. They have done better only once in the competition, during the 1990 tournament (five games in a row) when they hosted and lifted the trophy.
– They have the best attack (nine goals scored) and the best defense (no goal conceded) in this tournament so far.
– Algeria’s 22 year old Napoli midfielder Adam Ounas has been directly involved in four goals in his last games in the AFCON (three goals and one assist).
– Algeria’s Esperance of Tunis midfielder Youcef Belaili and their captain and Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez have each scored two goals in their last four games in the tournament.
– Guinea have always lost and have never kept a clean sheet in their two knockout stage games in the Africa Cup of Nations.
Madagascar 2 DR Congo 2:
South Africa stunned hosts Egypt to book a place in the quarterfinals in a game that no one gave them a chance to win.
– Madagascar with two wins and two draws are the first team to remain unbeaten in their first four games in the AFCON since Libya in the 1982 tournament (5- W2, D3).
– They are the first team to score in each of their first four AFCON games since Zambia in 1974 (5)
– DR Congo have won only one of their last five games in the AFCON (D1, L3) after winning two of their previous three (D1).
– Their China based forward Cedric Bakambu has scored three of the DRC’s last five goals in the Africa Cup of Nations.