DRC 0 Uganda 2:
The Cranes of Uganda created the first upset in AFCON 2019 by beating the more fancied DRC 0-2 to earn first AFCON win since 1978.
– DR Congo lost their first AFCON group stage game since January 2006 (0-2 against Cameroon), last edition played in Egypt. They lost their opening game in the competition for the first time since January 2004 (1-2 against Guinea)
– Uganda kept only their second clean sheet in 20 AFCON games, their last being a 3-0 win against Morocco in March 1978.
– Farouk Miya has been involvd in Uganda’s last three goals at the Africa Cup of Nations (1 goal, 2 assists).
Nigeria 1 Burundi 0:
The Super Eagles of Nigeria were let off the hook by a well taken 77th minute strike from surprise substitute Odion Ighalo thanks to a sublime assist from Olo Aina.
– Nigeria have won their opening game at the Africa Cup of Nations for the first time since 2006 (1-0 against Ghana).
– Nigeria are unbeaten in their last AFCON group stage games (W4, D2).
– Nigeria have won five of their six games against a debutant team at the Africa Cup of Nations (D1)
– Odion Ighalo scored just three minutes and 27 seconds after coming on. He scored his first goal during his first AFCON game, on his first shot.
– Mohamed Amissi became the first player born in 2000 to a game at the Africa Cup of Nations
Guinea 2 Madagascar 2: The Syli National of Guinea were almost stunned by a well drilled Barea of Madagascar who earned a more than deserved draw in the AFCON debut.
– Guinea are winless in their last four opening games at the Africa Cup of Nations (D2, L2), after winning their previous three.
– Guinea are unbeaten in their six group stage games at the AFCON (W1, D5) with five draws in a row.
– Sory Kaba has scored two of Guinea’s last three goals in all competitions.
– Andria has been involved in three of Madagascar’s last four goals in all competitions (2 goals, 1 assist).
This facts and statistics have been compiled thanks to some Opta Stats details.