By Beng Emmanuel
Cameroonian international forward Ada Jacquette has recommended that the Confederation of African Football, CAF reschedules the 2020 Women’s African Cup of Nations(AWCON) in order to give African female footballers better chance to prepare for the most celebrated women’s football showpiece on the continent.
Africa’s football governing body (CAF) canceled the Women’s AWCON qualifiers that were scheduled for April 2020 over growing concerns of the Coronavirus pandemic.The men’s 2021 AFCON qualifiers, the women’s u-20 world cup qualifiers and the African nation Championship suffered similar fate. According to CAF online, a new scheduled day will be announced.
The 28-year-old forward who is hopeful to represent Cameroon at the biennial football event having featured in 2016 said realising a successful tournament demands a lot and CAF is conscious of this.
“Given the preparations for the AWCON entails alot,it would be better to postpone it in order to to enhance the chances of having a great competition. A project ends up being successful if it is well planned. CAF knows the technicalities better and I am certain they want a great event reason it’s advisable to postpone and safe if we go into the event after a good preparation” the former Besiktas striker told Kick442.com.
The AWCON is slated to run between November 23-December 20 although a host is still to be confirmed.The Republic of Congo who were to host the 12th edition pulled out in July 2019.
Ada Jacquette who is currently with French second tier club ASPTT has previously been on the books of Amed SK in Turkey also touched on the issue of lack of a host as it stands as part of the justification to push forth the event.
“As it stands, we don’t know where the event will take place, that in itself is part of the problem because a host has to be named and the host needs time to prepare to receive the continent. Remember it is a 12 nations competitions now and not 8 nations as in the previous edition. It is really big. The virus has used-up a significant amount of time in the football calendar, it’s difficult to see the competition go on as scheduled” Ada Jacquette concluded.
Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea reportedly lobbied to host this edition of the competition but little has been heard of their interests since the outbreak of the CoronaVirus pandemic in most African countries in March this year.
CAF has decided that the next edition of the tournament will have 12 participants which is the maximum number of Nations since advent of the tournament just over 20 years ago.
Nigeria have won all but two of the previous editions of the competition.
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from our management.
This site is not responsible for the content displayed by external sites