A goal in either halves Steve Regis Mvove and Wamba Leonel Djouffou was enough for Cameroon to punish Guinea by 2 goals to nil in their first game of the ongoing Total Under 17 AFCON in Tanzania.
The win coupled Morocco and Senegal’s 1 all draw gives the baby Lions the honour of occupying the top position in a group B that bookmarkers have described as a “group of dead”.
Beyond the full time score here are some 10 Salient facts to keep from the Cameroon Guinea game.
1)Steve Mvoue Regis scored Cameroon’s opener and became the second son of Marie Mvoue (former Lionnesses captain) to score in the tournament following the footsteps of his brother Stephane Zobo who scored twice in the tournament in 2017.
2)Ismael Seidou Started for Cameroon to become the second boy from his family to play in the tournament in consecutive edition after his brother Aboubakar Sidiki featured for Cameroon in 2017 in Gabon just like Mvoue’s brother. The little man in Jersey number 19 was substituted later in the game.
3)Wamba Leonel Djouffou and Steve Mvoue scored for the baby Lions.
Cameroon have won the last 3 games in which they have scored together (Uganda,Rwanda and Morocco)
4) Cameroon kept a clean sheets in the game for the first time after 7 games.This is a major boast to the entire squad.
5) Cameroon’s win in their first game of the tournament is the country’s first in 18 years.
The 2 nil win gives Cameroon’s first win in her first game all previous edition of the tournament since they beat Seychelles by 5 goal to nil in on the 17 February 2001. Even When Cameroon won their lone Under 17 AFCON in 2003 they suffered a 1 nil defeat to Nigeria in their opening game.
6) Both of Cameroon’s goals where scored by sons of former good footballers.Steve Mvoue’s mother Marie played for Cameroon while Wamba Leonel’s father was a fine footballer who played for many club’s in at top flight level Cameroon including PWD of Bamenda. Both parents are now coaches.
7) Guinea suffered a defeat in their opening game of the tournament for the first time since March 2009 when Gambia beat them by 1 goal to nil thanks to a second half goal from Bojang Ebrima.
8) Wamba Leonel Leonel scored his first goal of the tournament against Guinea and his latest goal took his tally to 7 goals in his last 7 game for the Under 17 Lions of Cameroon.
9)Steve Mvoue scored his 2nd goal in his last 3 starts fot the baby Lions.
10) Cameroon’s 2 nil win ended Guinea’s run of 6 games without defeat on open play in the competition and Cameroon became the first team to beat Guinea since Mali last defeated them by 2 goals to 1 in the semi final of the 2015 competition.
kick442.com will bring you more statistics of other games as the competition unfolds.
@AnguLesley on Twitter