The new baby of the Cameroon Radio Television, CRTV Sports and Entertainment will this Tuesday July 30th 2019 at 9:33PM bring to you memories of Cameroon’s World Cup participation in Spain 1982. This competition remains memorable for Cameroon because the Cameroon team went home undefeated.
The sub branch of the national Station will rebroadcast Cameroon’s third and final group game pitting Cameroon to Italy.
Cameroon was making its debut in the world cup competition and was seeded in the same group with Poland, two times World Cup winners Italy and Peru.
The then Cameroon national team was coached by French man Jean Vincent. Prior to the match against Italy, they had played a virgin all tie against Peru and against Poland.
Cameroonians will therefore be looking forward to watch the likes of goalkeeper Thomas Nkono who was the team captain, Theophile Abega, Emmanuel Kunde, Roger Milla, Michel Kaham, Joseph Antoine Bell, Jean Pierre Tokoto, Paul Bahoken, François Ndoumbe and many others.
At the end of that match in 1982, Italy advanced to the next round ahead of Cameroon because they had scored a greater number of goals.
Below are 12 points note before watching the rebroadcast of the game.This points have been taken from the diary of great Football Historian Barrister Ashutangtang :
1) It was the last match of the group stage at Espana 82.
2) Italy eventually won the cup.
3) The other teams in the group were Poland and Peru.
4) Before this match all the four teams of the group had 2points each.
5)The match ended 1-1.
6) Graziani got the goal for Italy and Mbida Arantes equalised for Cameroon a minute later.
7)The goalkeeper of Italy, Dino Zoff was 40 years old. The oldest player to have appeared at the world cup at the time.
8) The highest goal scorer in the competition was the Italian Paolo Rossi, who could not score in this match. In fact he did not score during the group stage.
9) Rossi had not played football for two years prior to the tournament following a football ban for match-fixing.
10) Cameroon had 8 locals and 3 professionals in their starting line up.
Pros=Milla, Kaham, Tokoto.
11) The Italy match was the first in which Tokoto was starting.
12) For this match, Cameroon used the line up that ended their last match against Poland.
Take the roundevous on Crtv Sports and Entertainment this Tuesday July 30th as from 9:33 PM.
Nji Nelson Chefor